posts comments

Daily Agenda 9/4

Today's Agenda ~

* Vocabulary lessons 5-6 due today; last day to turn in lessons 3-4
* Make up tests (if applicable)
* Notes from the board on common errors / best practices in formal writing
* Announcements: rough drafts returned tomorrow and conferences start tomorrow in class
* Be finished with chapter 10 by tomorrow (read time)
* Chapter 5-9 test results on board

Best Practices in Formal Writing (copy this down)

Formal writing should sound as if it could be published in a textbook or magazine.
So DO NOT...

* address the reader directly ("Do you know why I said that?" "I bet you're wondering about what that means.")

* comment about the assignment criteria ("I can't think of just one happy time." "This is a very difficult essay to write.")

* abbreviate words (b/c in fw u dont use ne abbr. & #s!!!)

Formal writing concerns the power of words. Use them wisely!
So AVOID...

* overusing phrases or words ("In the ___ grade, I ..." "I can't really remember...")

* "best...ever" ; very ; really ; a lot

* 2nd person pronouns (you, your, yours)

* yep, wow, oh well, anyways, okay, yeah, so, I mean, like

* Starting a sentence with "Because..." --> because that makes it a fragment!

OTHER CONCERNS:

* Introductory paragraphs SHOULD NOT sound exactly like the sample or start with the name and birthdate of the author.

* Divide your writing into paragraphs -- minimum of 5

* include a word count at the end of every formal essay

* double space your paper to ease corrections for BOTH your peer and your teacher

* INCLUDE DETAILS!!!

* Include transitions -- connect your ideas from one to the next

* include a title page and two copies of your final essay

Standards met today:

10.4.1, 10.4.3, 10.4.13, 10.4.10, 10.4.11, 10.4.12, 10.6.2, 10.6.3

0 comments: