the overview:
Although Romeo and Juliet took their own lives at the end of the play, the blame for their premature deaths remains unclear. They didn't exactly have the best role models (their parents and friends) or guides (the Nurse, the Friar) along the way. In fact, every character influenced their decision to take their lives -- but the question remains: who is most at fault?
the assignment:
We will think about and respond to this question in the form of a persuasive essay. In the interest of time, we will we will not create an outline or a rough draft, although I will offer to proofread/correct rough copies before the final is due. The paper should be approximately 1000 words in length. Please include your word count at the end of your essay. You should include a title page with this formal essay. Include a MLA heading on the top, left corner of your paper and a title, centered, below the heading. As always, double-space, whether hand-written or typed. This essay is due on Wednesday, December 13.
No more than 1/3 of your sentences should contain "be" verbs. Never include 1st or 2nd person pronouns in formal writing, unless specifically requested. Eliminate statements such as "I think" or "I believe." Never write "In this paper I will tell you" or "In this paper you will find." Papers with 2nd person pronouns or 1st person pronouns (unless used in a direct quote) will receive a 10-point deduction for every instance. As Honors students, you should be beyond this type of vocabulary / word usage.
A persuasive essay should have five paragraphs. Start with an introduction, complete with attention getter, background information, and thesis statement. Your thesis should state: the person you blame for the deaths; three reasons why that person is at fault. Start with the strongest reason and work your way toward the weakest reason. I will provide you with a sample essay; however, you may not write about the same person I chose. Read the sample thesis below.
The responsibility of Romeo and Juliet's deaths rests on Friar Lawrence because of his selfishness, his unreliability, and his unlawful behavior.
My paper will follow the order of my thesis. Since I mentioned selfishness first, my first body paragraph must be about what I mean when I say Friar Lawrence is selfish.
You should include at least 3 direct quotes from the play in this essay. You will need at least one quote in each of the three body paragraphs which support your claim. Look at the example below.
"God pardon sin! / Wast thou with Rosaline?" (RJ 2.3.44).
As with all formal writings, include your word count at the end of your essay. To review my requirements for formal writings, visit the link below: http://english9h.blogspot.com/2006/08/format-of-formal-writings.html
the content:
Choose from the following list to determine who is to blame for Romeo and Juliet's deaths.
- Romeo
- Juliet
- Nurse
- Capulet
- Montague
- Mercutio
- Tybalt
- Benvolio
- Romeo & Juliet (both)
As always, if you feel like you need help beyond what is available in the classroom, I will be available before school 7:00-7:30 and after school until 4:30. I also check my email daily and may provide assistance this way as well. I cannot provide assistance if you do not ask; claiming to "not understand" an assignment and not asking for help is inexcusable. If you do not ask for help I will assume you understand the assignment and plan to turn it in, completed, on the due date. Again, this assignment will NOT be accepted late, so plan appropriately. We have limited time left in this semester, and I'm sure you all would like to know your grades the day we take our final.
the value:
persuasive essay, including title page -- 200 points
work cited:
A work cited page must contain the resources cited in the essay. Look at the examples below for help. Remember, you must hang indent your entry. Also include the words Work Cited, centered, before the entry. Do not include the label I've included to let you know which copy is which. In the interest of saving paper, you may include your work cited entry at the bottom of your essay, if it fits, rather than placing it on a different page.
English office copy:
Shakespeare, William. The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. Austin: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1994.
No Fear Shakespeare:
Shakespeare, William. No Fear Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet. New York: Spark Notes, 2003.
Simply Shakespeare:
Shakespeare, William. Simply Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet. Hauppauge: Barron's Educational Series, 2002.
Cliff's Complete:
Shakespeare, William. Cliff's Complete: Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. New York: Hungry Minds, 2000.
resources:
http://www.orangeusd.k12.ca.us/yorba/persuasive_writing1.htm
http://www.studygs.net/wrtstr4.htm
http://essayinfo.com/essays/persuasive_essay.php







0 comments:
Post a Comment